top of page

Attendance and Absence

You must make sure your child gets a fulltime education that meets their needs (for example if they have special educational needs).  You can send your child to a school or you can educate them yourself. 

Children must get an education between the school term after their 5th birthday and the last Friday in June in the school year they turn 16.

You'll be contacted by either:

  • the school - if your child is enrolled in school and doesn't turn up (even if they are only absent for a day). 

  • the council's education welfare officer - if they think your child isn't getting a suitable education at home.

You can be prosecuted if you don't give your child an education.  You'll normally get warnings and offers of help from the council first. 

Authorised Absences

You can allow your child to miss school if either:

  • they're too ill to go in

  • you've got advance permission from the school

There's extra support available if your child can't go to school for long periods because of a health problem. 

If your child is too ill to attend, then you must contact school as soon as possible by phoning 01332 346310.

Term Time Holidays

You have to get permission from the Head Teacher if you want to take your child out of school during term time. 

You can only do this if:

  • you make an application to the head teacher in advance (as a parent the child normally lives with)


  • there are exceptional circumstances

It's up to the head teacher how many days your child can be away from school if leave is granted. 

You can be fined for taking your child on holiday during term time without the school's permission. 

bottom of page