Coordinator: Mr Wibberley / Mr Miller
"Maths is like going to the gym for your brain. It sharpens your mind."
At Roe Farm we believe mathematics equips pupils with a unique set of powerful tools to understand the world and how it operates. These tools include logical reasoning, problem solving skills and the ability to think in abstract ways. Mathematics is important in everyday life. It is integral to all aspects of life and with this in mind we endeavour to ensure that children develop a healthy and enthusiastic attitude towards mathematics that will stay with them for life.
The purpose of mathematics in our school is to develop:
- A positive attitude towards mathematics and an awareness of the relevance of mathematics in the real world
- Competence and confidence in mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills
- An ability to solve problems, to reason, to think logically and to work systematically and accurately
- Initiative and an ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others
- An ability to move fluently between different representations of mathematical ideas
- An ability to communicate mathematics
- An ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life
- An understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and experiment
As a result of good teaching and learning our pupils are encouraged to develop into individuals who are mathematically confident enabling them to reach their potential.